The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Poppies, Baby!

I have fallen in love with my aqua painter.  It's true.  That thing can make magic, Baby!

It does, however take some time and patience, just like me.

Anyway, I made this--

I made this card by stamping Inkadinkado Flowers all over my background (SU Wild Wasabi), with both Stayz-on and Versamark inks.  Then I masked and stamped more flowers onto a piece of white cards stock, added a few leaves, and hand drew some stems.  I made the stems look hairy, 'cause that's the way poppies grow.

I also stamped another poppy onto another scrap piece of white cs.  That one turned out to be the one popped off the edge there.

I had so much fun painting these with my aqua painter.  The key is to go in very light to start, but also, not so terribly wet!  I imagine if I had used watercolor paper it would have been somewhat easier.  I have some, and I'll try it.  This are not watercolor paints.  They are inks from my ink pads.  I pressed color out onto my stamping acrylic blocks, and went from there.  There are several reds, some orange and some golds.  Didn't pay attention to which inks I used.  Sorry.

I probably made a mess in the upper part  of the background of the painted piece, or I didn't like the negative space, so I snipped around the images, and used foam tape to pop up that piece onto a piece of My Mind's Eye DP.  Then I used more foam tape to adhere the lone poppy.  I painted him while still attached to the scrap I stamped him on, and snipped him out later, btw.  I can see from this photo, I need to hit the edges with my black marker!  That whole deal went on a double mat of red and blue.

The flag pieces (is that what we call them, instead of banners?) are all scraps and a skinny piece of red ribbon from The Paper Source.  The sentiment is from Everything Happy by Stampendous.

This took SUPER long to paint, mostly because I was LOVING doing it.  Plus, the thing's gotta DRY!  This would never make it into my collection of  samples that I am making to sell.  However, my SIL is having a birthday in October, as is my own sister, so somebody will probably get this one.

Hey, thanks for stopping by today!
All Best-
Richard

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Richard, this is absolutely gorgeous. WHAT, this is a wonderful card to sell. But, I think your SIL or even your sister would be thrilled to receive this card. I am just loving all the colors and patterns that you used. And, I think you did a great job using your aqua pen. I love mine and find that it is a valuable tool. This is just an awesome card. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! This is really beautiful!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great composition! I love watercolouring also...it is hard to stop LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card - glad you had fun with your aqua painter! Anyone would be thrilled to receive this one - what a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is like the Ginger Roger's of cards. Unrestrained, vibrant, mysterious, refined, classy and deserving of attention! Freakin' gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!