The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Birthdays by the Shore

 I am hosting the Free For All Friday Challenge at GinaK Designs on Friday, July 13! 
Come play with us!!


Back at the end of May, my Aunt Lauri had a birthday.  She is a particular favorite of mine, and she is a big collector of shells and all things beachy. 

I thought this would be appropriate for her--

One day I am going to get myself a REAL photo set-up, I swear. 

This is a kraft card base, made from GinaK Designs 120# base-weight card stock.  The clouds is a DCWV photo paper.  I have done other cards with the blue sky in the past, but this is the sepia version of that paper.  I used yellow swiss dot SU Designer series paper, and a scrap of blue dp that I have had for a million years, and have lost the label to.  The stamps are from GKD, the Gifts from the Sea set by Melanie Meunchinger.  This is one of my go-to sets, for sure. 

The die used to make the pull tab and the "open" and arrow stamps are all PTI.  Under the tab is a lovely sentiment as well.  I should have marked down what it was that I stamped there, because my addled brain has forgotten what it was!  Oh, great...

Anyway, the shells are all stamped in Memento Rich Cocoa ink, and there are touches of hand coloring here and there.  I smooch spritzed them for a bit of shimmer, and then adhered them with some foam tape.  The bling and ribbon is from AC Moore.

The pull-tab set up requires some strong tape to make sure things don't fall apart on you when you pull the tab.  I find 1/8" Scor-tape is the best for this.

Now, notice the missed opportunity for genius here.  PLANNING would have made all the difference.  See how the ribbon goes across, and you can see the blue paper going over it?  Now, IF I had planned, I would have seen that if I had increased the size of the blue strip (by, what, 1/8 of an inch ?), I could have had a seamless transition going on.  ARGH!  The things we notice in hindsight.  SIGH...

Note to self.  Maybe flying by the seat of one's pant isn't always the way to go.  Think about it.

Thanks for stopping by!
All Best-
Richard

10 comments:

  1. Looks great Richard! I tend to fly by the seat of my pants when crafting, lol! Love the shells and the sentiment on the patterned paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colors and composition here, Richard... along with how you arranged the shells. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning arrangement Richard, I love the sentiment and Aunt Lauri will adore this card well done super work .Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this card - it's wonderful! Thanks for the tip about the strong adhesive (I use that adhesive about 90% of the time now - it's my favorite!) and I especially loved your insight about the blue ribbon and blue paper. Yes. I wonder, how many people actually draw out their card design on graph paper before they make it? Or is everyone like me and just fiddle and fix as they go? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, this has to be one of my favorites of all of your cards! Aunt Lauri is going to love it! I would never have noticed the blue strip had you not pointed it out, so mum's the word next time! Great job - and we all fly by the seat of our pants! (and probably do some of our best work that way!) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any beach lover would totally adore this card. Love the color blocking and what a great effect it gives to this card. Fantastic job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this card, Richard, and all the details! The sepia clouds are gorgeous, and terrific with the birds and shells!
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. What? Not flying by the seat of our pants?? I didn't think there was any other way to fly! Richard, the sepia clouds are really amazing. I've never seen that done and it looks fantastic. The card for your Aunt is fabulous! I've thoroughly enjoyed the visit to the beach this morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a gal who grew up in Florida, and lived in Hawaii for 9 years, I love all things beach too, and I love your card! I bet your aunt was quite smitten! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!