The musings and offerings of a burgeoning greetings master

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Mildred (Paper) Piece

So, I learned to paper piece recently.  Not pierce, with an "r". I kept rereading the tutorial, looking at the pictures for the cute little holes that make such a cute edge and stuff.....uh, no.    Big DUH for me. 

Apparently, when you don't put the "c" into the word, it means you are inserting a different piece of paper, either stamped or some designer paper (DP) into some or all parts of your stamped image.  OHHHHHHHHHH......

Once I re-taught myself to READ WORDS, I made this--

I made the card base from some Aqua card stock, and then cut a coordinating lighter weight card stock on top.
 I stamped three boats onto the same lighter card stock with Memento tuxedo black ink and cut them out.  I then stamped the same boat onto three different DPs and cut out just the sails.  I used a glue pen to attach the sails to the boats, and put them aside. 
I grabbed two different blue card stocks, and this great photo paper that has water on it, and tore them at different angles.  I layered them up and arranged them until it made the waves I wanted to create, then carefully stuck them together and attached them to the card front piece.  I trimmed around the card front with my snips to remove the extra overhang. 
I left the edges loose, since they weren't going anywhere, and that let me carefully slide my boats into place between the layers. 
I used a gel pen to create the clouds.  I LOVE me some gel pen!!  I decided to pull in some more of the pink from the DP, so I got out my pink colored pencil and highlighted the clouds just a bit. 
All that was left to do is stamp the sentiment, attach the front to the base, and that puppy was done! 
These stamps are from GinaK Designs.  The card stock and water DP are from DCWV, and the boat DP is AC Patterned Paper, the Play set.  I love this paper!!

Thanks for stopping by!
All Best-
Richard

4 comments:

  1. Very nice card! I love paper piecing! It's a favorite technique of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved it on STV and love it here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...yeah, hooked on phonics DID work! ;) I jest...but you opened that door.
    Kidding aside, your paper pieCing is fantastic!!
    Love that technique. Did you find that once you started, it was almost difficult to quit..constantly looking for more to piece?
    Can't wait to visit again and thank you for leaving a comment for my son's artwork. You made him smile. :D
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much. Thanks for taking the time!